Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Math Stations for the Weeks of 10/28 and 11/4

Station #1 - Halloween number puzzles, a freebie you can get here.



Station #2 - Roll a Tower
I saw this idea on Pinterest, and decided to make my own. I used a large sheet of construction paper, and put 6 die cut figures on each one, then numbered them 1 thru 6. I made 5 of these, so each child could have their own.


The rules are easy. Roll a die (I'm using a tally mark die this time. Next week I'll use the number words die.)
With a pair of tweezers, pile 1-inch block cubes in a tower on top of the correct number.
If a number is rolled that's already been covered, the student loses that turn.
If a tower tumbles, student has to re-roll that number.
First student to cover all the numbers on their mat wins.

Station #3 - Build a Shape
Again, another idea from Pinterest. Using some short popsicle sticks I found, the students practice making the shapes listed on the guide. Another teacher is using Q-tips, and another is using toothpicks. You can get a copy of my guide here.


Station #4 - Frustration
I initially posted this game here.



Station #5 - Three in a Row
One math concept my students have difficulty with is sequencing numbers. So I created this game. I have some 1-inch number tiles, which I use. It's simple to play.
Each student chooses a card to work with.
They "blind pick" a number tile and place it in an appropriate blank. (I use a tissue box for them to draw from.)
If the tile can't be used, the student puts it back and loses that turn.
First one to correctly fill their card wins.



All cards are 8.5 x 11 inches. You can click and save, and print out your own copies. I've also included a template if you want to make your own. (Once I get some teen and twenties tiles, I'll make those.)







No comments:

Post a Comment